Residence certificate cann’t be renewed! ? Part-time job rules while studying in Japan!


Residence certificate can’t be renewed! ? Part-time job laws while studying in Japan!

Currently, there are many foreign students in Japan. Especially in Tokyo, I often see foreign staff at the convenience stores. But there are laws that foreign students must obey, just as Japanese people have to protect the Labor Law. If you don’t obey this rule, you may be forced to repatriate from Japan.


① Necessary permission

International students are required to obtain permission for the “non-qualified activity ” at the Regional Immigration Bureau before working. You cannot work without this permission. Since the status of residence for international students is “study abroad”, you must obtain this permission. It will take 2 weeks to 2 months to obtain permission from the application. So you’d better be prepared in advance.


②Time limit

In Japan, international students must not work more than 28 hours per week. This includes overtime. During school holidays such as summer and winter holidays, you can work up to 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week. However, if you work without adhering to the above time restrictions, you will not be able to renew your status of residence, and in some cases, you may be banned from entering Japan for at least 5 years after being forced to repatriate. Employers may be imprisoned for up to 3 years or fined up to 3 million yen. Even if you are suffering from a lack of money and strongly desire to work, never exceed this time limit. Employers should also try to manage international students’ working hours properly.

③Work type

There are recommended part-time jobs and prohibited jobs for international students.

[Recommended work]

Convenience store staff

Even those who are not confident in Japanese have the advantage of working with peace of mind because there are few difficult exchanges and they are always using it.


Restaurant staff

 Recommended for those who want to learn Japanese quickly. Because communication with customers occurs, you will be able to acquire common sense and manners in Japan.


・ Hotel staff

At hotels where foreigners often stay, there are also places where foreign students are employed at the front desk. If you are not confident in Japanese, you might want to start with the clean staff. 


[Forbidden work]


・ Work related to Law Regulating Adult Entertainment Businesses

Mainly refers to cabaret clubs, snacks, and bars. Please note that it is a violation of the law even for cleaning work other than customer service.


・Game center

Actually, the game centers are also subject to the Law Regulating Adult Entertainment Businesses, so students are not allowed to work there.


There are many laws for international students to work in Japan. You should research carefully because you’re not getting out of trouble just by saying you didn’t know. If you have any questions or concerns, you can discuss them with your school or immigration administration.

Evolable Asia Agent also supports international students who want to work in Japan, please contact us.


Latest tin tức